The calendar says Autumn. The humid thirty-something days still say
Summer. When I step onto the floor, the boards are damp underfoot. The
air throbs with heat and moisture, and cicadas blare their approval.
External
markers of time are perplexing. They seem out of kilter with my own
experience. My body is paused, frozen in a season of its own, yet the
earth continues its rhythms. The seasons turn, the moon rises, the sea
wishes and washes, nothing is forever. I hold this in my mind and hope
this relapse breaks soon.
There have been other relapses, too many to count. But this one is protracted. Several years in I’m starting to wonder: is this the new normal?
I
was carving out a small, slow life for myself. I thought I was through
the worst, that I’d never return to the long years of severity I had at
the start. I thought the cycles of life had picked me up and deposited
me in a place further along, that I could never go back there. Now I
understand that the trip backwards can be fast, and the way out is
slippery.
I want to hit the stop button on the outside
world so I don't miss anything while I lay here, try to be patient, fail
to be patient. I am always ready. Here in my season of waiting, I am
ready.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.